Monday, April 14, 2008

Attack on 14 year old left her feeling suicidal

This is exactly why something must be done now. This girl's life has been turned into a living hell.

Attack has left me feeling suicidal
Glasgow Daily Record, UK

Q - I AM a 14-year-old girl. I have a lot of problems in my life but most of them are based around one thing.

More than a year ago, I was attacked by a group of girls a few years older than me.

They only did it because I dress as a goth and have long red hair.

Before this happened my life was more or less perfect. Everything was going right.

But I have been extremely afraid to leave the house since. In fact, I don't leave my house unless I really have to or go to school.

I have also lost my best friend of nine years because I won't go out. I know it's my fault but after I got attacked, I was shattered and my confidence went down the drain.

I have also been depressed and thought about suicide. I still think about it but I would be too scared. My attitude has also changed towards my family.

I hate my father. I know it doesn't sound like much but the worst of it is losing my best friend. I am nothing without her.

The thing that would help me build my confidence back up most is probably a little help from my so-called "best friend", although she tries to bring me down all the time.

She slags me off for things she used to do herself. She's a real hypocrite. I am always left out of things. Worse, one minute we are all good friends, then she treats me badly.

Also, when my mother asked why I never go out I told her, then a few weeks later she asked again, so I gave her the same answer.

But this time she told me I was talking nonsense. I don't know what to do with my life and I am really scared. I don't see the point in me being here any more.

A I'M sorry about the attack. It must have been a terrifying experience. I'm not surprised it's had such a devastating affect.

I don't myself understand why Goths, who are about as mild a group of people as you could get, invite this level of hostility, especially from other teenagers.

It's a huge pity you didn't report it at the time. Even if they hadn't caught the culprits, you'd have been directed towards victim support. It's not too late.

Contact them on www.victimsupport.com. You haven't said why you hate your dad, so it's hard to tell you what to do about it and I'm sorry your mum has chosen to disbelieveyou were assaulted.

As for your friend, have you tried to explain why you're frightened to leave the house? If not, give her a chance to understand.

I think you also tell your guidance teacher about the assault, as well as the bullying.

Finally, next time you have these suicidal thoughts visit www.samaritans.org.uk and contact Breathing Space's helpline on 0800838587 between 6pm and 2am.

It's time you got the support you desperately need.

This reminds me of the suicide of another glasgow goth girl bullied to death Nichola Raphael in 2001.

Meanwhile in Wrexham guess what another skate park has been vandalised. Exactly the same sort of problem as seen in earlier cases of skate park vandalism that we have noted here before.

Yobs trash £250000 Flintshire skatepark
Wrexham Leader, UK - 8 Apr 2008

No comments: