Thursday, October 25, 2007

You have to start somewhere

Sophie's Mother in new appeal in the Lancashire Telegraph:

Mrs Lancaster said: "The campaign is about trying to get away from blaming people and getting the conversation going between different groups of young people and adults too.


"I want people to think twice about labelling people because of the way they dress or the music they listen to - adults are just as guilty of that as young people and it does create conflict. We have a long way to go but we have managed a lot already.

I was amazed at the response in support of the teenagers in Blackburn, agreeing that they are just ordinary people. And I was delighted with how seriously the police and councillors in Burnley have taken the attacks there. I know some people might think this campaign is just idealism, but you have to start somewhere. Sophie would never have wanted me to be sitting at home grieving and not doing anything because that's not what I am and it's not what she was. She was a lovely, kind, caring girl. What happened to her was senseless but I have got to make sense of it by doing as much as I can to stop it happening again."

No comments: